Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance (KERA)
Who is eligible?
Applicants who meet all of the following criteria may qualify for KERA assistance:
- Tenant rents their home.
- Tenant’s 2020 household income did not exceed 80 percent of their area’s median income.
- At least one member of the tenant household is experiencing documented financial hardship as a result of the COVID pandemic. Hardship may include loss of employment, reduction in household income, or significant COVID-related expenses (medical bills, personal protective equipment, child care costs, equipment or Internet costs to enable online work/schooling, etc.).
- At least one member of the tenant household is uncertain where they will stay or may become homeless without housing assistance.
- Tenant can provide valid proof of identification.
What does assistance cover?
- Up to 12 months of residential rent and rental arrears.
- Up to three months of prospective rent at a time, even if the household does not have rental arrears.
- Past due residential utility and home energy (electric, gas, water, sewer, and trash service) and internet costs.
Note: All expenses must have been billed or charged April 1, 2020 or later.
How to apply?
Both landlord and tenant must apply via a joint online application process.
- Landlord completes online certification.
- Tenant submits online application.
- Landlord and tenant are notified when application is processed.
- If approved, landlord and/or service provider(s) receive funds directly from KHRC.
- Landlord and/or service provider(s) applies assistance to tenant account.
More Information and To Apply:
KERA Program Information (KHRC Website)
KERA Online Application (KHRC Website)
What is NEK-CAP, Inc's role in the KERA program?
NEK-CAP, Inc. is a community partner offering assistance to those needing help completing or submitting their KERA applications.
Who do I contact for assistance with completing or submitting the KERA online application?
Service Area: Jackson, Marshall, Nemaha, Pottawatomie and Washington Counties
NEK-CAP, Inc. Staff: Kori Anderson
Phone: (785) 851-0707
Service Area: Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Jefferson and Leavenworth Counties
NEK-CAP, Inc. Staff: Megan Peltzer
Phone: (913) 370-2478
Service Area: Jewell, Mitchell, Osborne, Republic, Riley and Smith Counties
NEK-CAP, Inc. Staff: Kaydee Tran
Phone: (785) 547-7136